Professor Chang has served on various academic leadership roles at the University and in the international professional community. He has served and lead the University Senate and he is also a facilitator and mentor for a University Leadership programme and he is overall in-charge of the Institute level Leadership Programme. In the international community, he has been the co-Chair of the IGU Commission on Geographical Education and the President of the Southeast Asian Geography Association.
Find out more about his various roles listed below.
Roles in Academic and Professional Organizations
- President, Southeast Asian Geography Association, 2010 to present
- Co-Chair, International Geographical Union, Commission on Geographica; Education, 2016 to present
- Advisory Board Member - UCL Centre for Climate Change and Sustainability Education, London, 2022 -present
- Co-Editor, International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education (IRGEE), 2017 - present
- International Editor of the journal Review in Geographic Education online (RIGEO) for the Asia and Oceania region, 2016 - present.
- Editorial board member, Humanities and Social Studies Education online, 2012 to present
- Member, Scientific committee of the journal J-Reading - Journal of Research and Didactics in Geography, 2017 - present
- Asia-Pacific Human Development Network (AP-HDNet), Human Development Report Unit, United Nations Development Programme - Climate Change Discussant, 2010
- Secretary, Southeast Asian Geography Association, Jul 2005 to Feb 2010
- Executive Committee member & webmaster, Geography Teachers' Association, Singapore, Apr 2005- 2009
- Member, Association of American Geographers, 2009 to present
- Member, Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) 2008 to present
- Member, National Council of Geographic Education, 2009 to present
- Member, IGU Regional Network for Southeast Asia, Australasia and the Southwest Pacific (SEAASWP), 2006 to present
- Member, Education Research Association, Singapore, 2000 - 2006
- Member, Royal Meteorological Society,1999 - 2000.
Administrative roles at the University:
- Dean, Academic and Strategic Development 2020 to present
- Chair, Steering Committee of the NIE Strategic Growth Area in Assessment and Evaluation, 2020 to present.
- Co-Chair of Senate Steering Committee, NTU, 2021 - 2022
- Deputy Chair of Senate Steering Committee, NTU, 2020 - 2021
- Chair Senate Education Committee, NTU, 2020 - 2022
- Co-Chair, NIE Teaching and Learning Committee 2018 to present.
- NIE Chief Planning Officer, 2018 -2020
- Member of NTU Senate Committee, 2018 - 2020
- Member of the Senate Committee on Academic Governance, 2018 - 2020
- Chair of NTU Education for Sustainability Asia Conference, 2017 - 2018
- Member of the iNTULearn 2.0 Project Steering Committee, 2018 - 2022
- NIE Associate Dean, Professional Development, Office of Graduate Studies and Professional Learning 2011 - 2018
- NIE Sub-Dean, Professional Development (In-service), Office of Graduate Studies and Professional Learning 2010 - 2011
- NIE Sub-Dean, Teacher Professional Development (In-service), Graduate Programmes & Research Office 2009 - 2010
- Member, NIE Certification and Accreditation Framework (CAF) Working Committee 2010 - 2012
- NIE TE21 Implementation - Portfolio Project Team member 2009
- NIE SSS/WITS committee member 2007 - 2009
- IT Facilitator for HSSE AG on ACIS committee May 2002 - Jun 2006
- Publicity representative for NIE E-carnival Committee Sep 2003 - Feb 2004
- Committee Member on Nurturing Talented Undergraduates Programmes, NTU 1999
- Chairperson of organizing committee and programme sub-committee of the International Geographic Union, Commission on Geographic Education Conference in Singapore August 2016
- Programme Chair and Organising Committee Member, Southeast Asian Geography Association (SEAGA) Conference 2014, Siem Reap, November 2014
- Session Chair for session on Teacher Education at the London International Conference on Education 2013, London, November 2013.
- Programme Chair and Organising Committee Member, Southeast Asian Geography Association Conference 2010, Hanoi, 23 to 26 November 2010.
- Chair of Organising Committee, Southeast Asian Geography Association Education Forum 2010 -
- Teaching and Learning Geography that matters, Singapore, 15 March 2010.
- Secretariat of Organising Committee, Southeast Asian Geography Association Education Forum 2009 - A Conversation on Challenges in Humanities Education, Singapore, 8 July 2009.
- Secretariat of Organising Committee, Southeast Asian Geography Association International Forum on Cities and Climate Change - Society and Policy Responses, Singapore, 14 February 2009
- Secretariat for Southeast Asian Geography Association International Forum, Feb 2009
- Secretariat for Southeast Asian Geography Association International Forum, Jul 2007
- Secretariat for the 8th Southeast Asian Geography Association conference, Nov 2006
- Programme and Publicity committee member for the first Primary Social Studies Symposium, Mar 2000.