Professor Chang works in geography and environmental education. His expertise is in Climate Change misconception diagnostics and in improvement to geography curriculum and technology-enabled refutation oriented instruction. He has published widely in the areas of geography, geographical education and environmental education.
He is Dean, Academic and Strategic Development at the National Institute of Education (NIE), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. He is also Professor of Education with the Humanities and Social Studies Education Academic Group, NIE/NTU, Singapore. He is also the Chair of the Education Committee on the NTU Senate and Deputy Chair of the NTU Senate Steering Committee.
Professor Chang's key teaching areas are in Physical Geography and Geography Education. He was a recipient of the NIE excellence in teaching commendation and continues to play a curriculum leadership role in the areas of Geography and Geography Education. His teaching areas are aligned to his research interests which include climate change education, technologies in geography teaching and learning, geography curriculum and assessment, and teacher professional development in Geography.
Professor Chang is the President of the Southeast Asian Geography Association, in addition to being the Co-Chair of the International Geographical Union Commission on Geographical Education. He is also concurrently, an Adjunct Professor of East China Normal University, Shanghai, China. He also previously served on the Executive Committee of the Geography Teachers' Association of Singapore and is an active member of the National Council for Geographic Education, Education Research Association Singapore and American Association of Geographers. He is the Co-Editor of the journal International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education (IRGEE) and is the International Editor of the journal Review in Geographic Education online (RIGEO) for the Asia and Oceania region. Professor Chang also serves as a member of the editorial board of the journal Humanities and Social Studies Education online and is a member of the scientific committee of the journal J-Reading - Journal of Research and Didactics in Geography.
Administrative roles at NIE/NTU:
- Dean, Academic and Strategic Development 2020 -
- Co-Chair of Senate Steering Committee, NTU, 2021 -
- Deputy Chair of Senate Steering Committee, NTU, 2020 - 2021
- Chair Senate Education Committee, NTU, 2020 -
- Chief Planning Officer, 2018 -2020
- Member of NTU Senate Committee, 2018 - 2020
- Member of the Committee on Academic Governance, 2018 -
- Chair of Education for Sustainability Asia Conference, 2017 - 2018
- Member of the iNTULearn 2.0 Project Steering Committee, 2018 -
- Associate Dean, Professional Development, Office of Graduate Studies and Professional Learning 2011 - 2018
- Sub-Dean, Professional Development (In-service), Office of Graduate Studies and Professional Learning 2010 - 2011
- Sub-Dean, Teacher Professional Development (In-service), Graduate Programmes & Research Office 2009 - 2010
- Member, Certification and Accreditation Framework (CAF) Working Committee 2010 - 2012
- TE21 Implementation - Portfolio Project Team member 2009
- SSS/WITS committee member 2007 – 2009
- IT Facilitator for HSSE on ACIS committee May 2002 – Jun 2006
- Publicity representative for NIE E-carnival Committee Sep 2003 – Feb 2004
- Committee Member on Nurturing Talented Undergraduates Programmes, NTU 1999
Roles in Professional Organizations
- Co-Chair, International Geographical Union, Commission on Geographica; Education, 2016 -
- Chairperson of organizing committee and programme sub-committee of the International Geographic Union, Commission on Geographic Education Conference in Singapore August 2016
- Programme Chair and Organising Committee Member, Southeast Asian Geography Association (SEAGA) Conference 2014, Siem Reap, November 2014
Session Chair for session on Teacher Education at the London International Conference on Education 2013, London, November 2013.
- Programme Chair and Organising Committee Member, Southeast Asian Geography Association Conference 2010, Hanoi, 23 to 26 November 2010.
Chair of Organising Committee, Southeast Asian Geography Association Education Forum 2010 - Teaching and Learning Geography that matters, Singapore, 15 March 2010.
Secretariat of Organising Committee, Southeast Asian Geography Association Education Forum 2009 - A Conversation on Challenges in Humanities Education, Singapore, 8 July 2009.
Secretariat of Organising Committee, Southeast Asian Geography Association International Forum on Cities and Climate Change – Society and Policy Responses, Singapore, 14 February 2009.
- Asia-Pacific Human Development Network (AP-HDNet), Human Development Report Unit, United Nations Development Programme - Climate Change Discussant, 2010
- Southeast Asian Geography Association - President Feb 2010 to present; Secretary Jul 2005 to Feb 2010
- Geography Teachers' Association, Singapore - Executive Committee member & webmaster Apr 2005- 2009
- Association of American Geographers - Member 2009 to present
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) - Member 2008 to present
- National Council of Geographic Education - Member 2009 to present
- IGU Regional Network for Southeast Asia, Australasia and the Southwest Pacific (SEAASWP) - Member 2006 to present
- Secretariat for Southeast Asian Geography Association International Forum, Feb 2009
- Secretariat for Southeast Asian Geography Association International Forum, Jul 2007
- Secretariat for the 8th Southeast Asian Geography Association conference, Nov 2006
- Education Reserach Association, Singapore - Member 2000 - 2006
- Programme and Publicity committee member for the first Primary Social Studies Symposium, Mar 2000.
- Royal Meteorological Society - Member 1999 - 2000.
Service as Reviewer
Editorial board member of:
- International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education (Co-Editor)
- Review of International Geographical Education Online (International Editor)
Reviewer for the following Journals/Books:
- Research in Geography Education
- Journal of Geography in Higher Education
- Education Media International
- Encyclopaedia of Digital Libraries
- Journal of Applied Meterorology
- Singapore Economic Review